Friday, August 26, 2016

Painting With Dee! - Episode 2 - Drip and shake acrylic on canvas board 9"x11"



This week on "Painting With Dee!" I wanted to try the "drip and shake" method to create an abstract work.

I've used this method before, and I loved the results. So, I decided it was about time to try again, because you get a lot of freedom to experiment and try new things.

So, how does "drip and shake" work? The idea is simple: drip large globs of paint onto the canvas and then shake them around to create interesting patterns and effects. It's definitely one of my favorite techniques because it's so much fun!

For a little more control over the results, you can use a brush or a stick to push and pull the paint around and create even more unique patterns and shapes. As you can see in the video, I was able to pull the paint into "arms" that branched out and touched the other globs. I think it worked out pretty well!

Unfortunately, there were a few mishaps where dust and other bits of debris got into the wet paint, and the plastic baggy it was sitting on to protect the table top kicked up and left some marks. ...oh, well. It gives the piece a little extra character, right?

Also, for this time, I decided to abandon the poster board I used in the last episode. I still want to try a glossy poster board, just to see what kind of results I can get out of it. The drying time was perfect, however; only a few hours before it was safe to touch without damaging the work. Can't beat that, right? It's easier to add layers and try other ideas when it doesn't take too long to try.

And that's it for this weekend... Thanks for watching, and don't forget to subscribe! I love doing this, and I hope everyone else watching feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment